Table of Contents
How to Clean 7 Brand Name Coffee Makers
Let’s look at how to clean some of the popular brand name coffee makers.
There should be care and cleaning instructions that came with your machine so make sure to check just in case we’ve missed something.
Tip: Always make sure the empty carafe is in your machine to catch the dirty water while cleaning your machine.
1. How to clean Cuisinart coffee maker
Cleaning a Cuisinart coffee maker is a simple process. Make sure you follow the cleaning process at least once a month if not more so that you don’t get bacteria growth or mold.
- nonabrasive scrubby pad/brush
- mild dish soap
Steps to clean a Cuisinart coffee maker:
- Rinse: Run a complete cycle without coffee grounds using a paper filter to help remove scale and gently lift grime. Discard the water.
- Sanitize: Use a mix of 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 water and run a cycle to sanitize the unit and kill any lingering bacteria or mold. If your machine has a “clean” button you can press it (while the machine is plugged in but turned off) and then when it glows turn the machine on and it will be in clean mode. When you hear five beeps the cleaning mode will be finished. Otherwise, proceed with the next steps
- Rinse again: Run another cycle or two of plain water to remove any vinegar and finalize the cleaning process.
- Scrub the carafe to remove grime and allow everything to dry completely before your next use.
- Soak as required: If you have trouble removing the coffee film from the carafe try letting it soak in hot soapy water for a few hours (or overnight) and then gently scrub with warm soapy water and a little vinegar.
2. How to clean Ninja coffee maker/bar
The Ninja coffee bar is easy to clean, but make sure you do it regularly so build-up doesn’t interfere with your system. Follow these few steps to get it just right.
- hot water
- descale solution
Steps to clean Ninja coffee maker:
- Descale: Fill the water reservoir with a mixture of water and a descaling solution. Select “full: on the portion size indicator and press “clean”.
- Rinse: When the clean cycle is finished discard the solution and run another two cycles using just plain hot water to remove any lingering grime or solution.
- Scrub as required: Clean the carafe and any removable machine parts with hot soapy water to remove film and build-up.
- Allow the machine to dry completely to avoid mold growth
3. How to clean a Bunn coffee maker
The Bunn needs to be cleaned about every two weeks to make sure that all the components are in working order. Make sure you keep the brush head that comes with the machine so you can easily clean the spray head.
- cleaning tool
- soapy water
Steps to clean a Bunn coffee maker:
- Clean spray head: Detach the spray head carefully and clean it with the brush component to remove any scale.
- Brew some water: Clean the machine by running a cycle through with just plain water to make sure that any grime is loosened.
- Brew some vinegar: Use a mix of 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 water and run a cycle to sanitize the unit and kill any lingering bacteria or mold.
- Final scrub: Clean the carafe with a mixture of water and vinegar to make sure that the film lifts completely. Thermal carafes can be more difficult because you can’t see all the build-up, but the addition of the vinegar should help remove the stains.
- Brew some more water: Run one or two more clean cycles of plain water to remove all vinegar.
4. How to clean a Bella coffee maker
Bella coffee makers have a beautiful, simplistic design, but they still need regular cleaning to function properly. Make sure you clean your coffee maker at least once a month for best results.
- nonabrasive scrubby pad
Steps to clean a Bella coffee maker:
- Run a complete cycle with no coffee to start the process.
- Add vinegar to water and run another cycle to sanitize and help remove any lingering oils. (Many Bella coffee makers have a “clean mode” you can engage it by pressing and holding the “keep warm” button until CLEAN appears on the LCD. You press the ON/OFF button until it beeps to start the cleaning cycle, it will beep again when it’s finished.)
- Run one or two more cycles with clean water to remove any vinegar and finalize the process.
- Clean the carafe with a nonabrasive scrubby pad and soapy water to remove the film and restore the shine to the glass. Allow the coffee maker to dry completely.
- You can also run the carafe through the dishwasher on the top rack to sanitize it after you’ve scrubbed.
5. How to clean Mr. Coffee coffee maker
Mr. Coffee is a classic and found in just about every home in the country at one point or another. Clean it regularly so that this affordable brand will last a long time.
- mild dish soap
Steps to clean Mr. Coffee coffee maker:
- Run a cycle of clear water through your coffee maker to start the process.
- Mix equal parts of water and vinegar and fill the reservoir. Run a complete cycle until the water mixture is gone.
- Run another cycle or two of clear water until you’ve removed the vinegar solution completely.
- Clean the carafe with dish soap or put it in the dishwasher to sanitize. Make sure you use the top rack only.
6. How to clean a Keurig coffee maker
Keurigs need to be cleaned regularly to help keep it in top shape. Let’s go through the process.
- mild soap
- vinegar or cleaning pods from Keurig
- A paperclip
Steps to clean Keurig coffee maker:
- Fill the reservoir and run the cycle without the filter until the reservoir is empty.
- Unplug the machine and remove any components that are removable. Scrub them all with hot soapy water and allow them to dry.
- Rebuild the machine and add a mixture of half vinegar and water to the reservoir. Or use a descaling solution and follow the cleaning solution’s instructions.
- Run cycles until your reservoir is empty.
- Run a final cycle or two with just water to clean it out thoroughly.
- You may also want to clean the needle. You can do that by using a paper clip (simply straighten the outer section) and poke the end in where the needle enters the funnel of the K-cup holder. Then up the sides of the needle on the brewer’s head on the machine itself. This should clear any blockages.
7. How to clean a Black and Decker coffee maker
Black and Decker is another classic coffee brand that’s affordable and found everywhere. Clean it by following many of the same steps as the other brands above.
- mild soap
- brush/nonabrasive scrubby pad
Steps to clean Black+Decker coffee maker:
- Run your cycle with just hot water, and repeat with a mixture of half vinegar and half water.
- Run cleansing cycles of just hot water to remove any lingering vinegar solution.
- Clean the carafe thoroughly with water and a brush or nonabrasive scrubby pad to make sure all film is removed and rinse it thoroughly.
Did we miss your brand of coffee maker? Let me know below and we’ll do our best to cover it. Also, you might want to check out our guide to cleaning all coffee makers. And this post about cleaning coffee filters.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Bryan Haines is a co-founder and writer on EnjoyJava – and is working to make it the best coffee blog in the world.
He is a travel blogger at Storyteller Travel and blogs about photography at Storyteller Tech. He is also co-founder of Storyteller Media, a company he started with his wife, Dena.